sunvirgin.com->Contacts->Member Forum->View Thread
Please join the fan club today!
Member Forum
View Thread
Back to the Forum  Begin New Message

Original Message
Yma Sumac is a cover name....
Yma Sumac real name is Amy Camus....think about it.

- Scully
posted by Archive Entry on Wednesday, November 18th, 1998 at 8:09:00 PM

Respond to this Message

Responses
There's nothing to think about. Yma Sumac is her Indian name which is actually spelled "Ima Sumack" in Peru and "Imma Sumack" in the rest of South America. Try spelling those backwards. Anyone ignorant enough to believe a rumor that started as a joke just has not been paying attention. If you spoke to her for five seconds you would recognize a South American accent!
response posted by Archive Entry on Wednesday, November 18th, 1998 at 9:05:00 PM
I recall reading years ago in a bio of Yma that her mother's maiden name was SUMACK EMILIA ATAHUALPA and that her friend called her "Imma." I sort of assumed that when Yma went showbiz she adopted a permutation of her mother's name to use as her stage name. (Just conjecture on my part. Don, what do you know about this?)
response posted by Archive Entry on Monday, November 30th, 1998 at 9:24:00 AM
Essentially that is correct. Her mother's name was Ima Sumack Emilia Atahualpa Chavarri del Castillo. Yma Sumac went into town telling her mother she was going to school when in reality she was going to rehearsals against her mother's wishes. When she was asked to perform on a radio show, she knew her mother did not have a radio and would not hear the show but decided, as an extra safeguard, to use her mother's name. Yma Sumac did not realize the extent of the publicity that the show would bring and, while her mother did not have a radio, he did read the newspapers and learned about it there. Mama was not fooled by the name change. Yma Sumac got a "big spank," as she says.

Yma Sumac's friends call her Perita, which is probably a nickname from Emperatriz, her given first name.
response posted by Archive Entry on Monday, November 30th, 1998 at 9:59:00 AM

This is a very old rumor --- I remember hearing it growing up in New York in the '60s. It was (and still is) hard to believe that anyone with such an incredible voice and skill was not classically trained. Everything about Yma was new then, and this rumor added to the mystery. Remember all the non-sense about the hidden meanings in the Beatles albums -- same era, similar type of non-sense.

Steve Guth
response posted by Archive Entry on Sunday, August 1st, 1999 at 10:17:00 PM

Strangely enough, Yma Sumac was not classically trained. She taught herself to sing as a young girl in the high Andes.
response posted by Archive Entry on Monday, January 3rd, 2000 at 12:40:00 PM