sunvirgin.com->Contacts->Member Forum->View Thread
Please join the fan club today!
Member Forum
View Thread
Back to the Forum  Begin New Message

Original Message
Miracles artwork cover
First of all, I want to thank you for having a wonderful and complete sumac site, this is the most complete I've seen. I have a couple of question and I'm sure you're the only one who can answer it. Is there any story behind Miracles art cover? I read in your site that the initial concept for the album was a christmas greeting card, but that isn't remotelly close to the final artwork, where did the idea came, what does the elements represent? it's a rock jazz album but this illustration it's not related to it. It's that true that Les Baxter changed the arwork? why they didn't use pictures or color? who is Marcellino? I read that name as the artist for the concept and design for the album. Is the same artwork on the new Miracles or has any variation? appreciate your time and help Eric Sauter
posted by Eric Sauter on Thursday, November 22nd, 2012 at 6:53:37 PM
Respond to this Message

Responses
Miracles artwork cover
I'm glad you like the site and thank you for your kind words! It has had many years to be built up to it's current size as it is the very first site about her and was authorized originally by her management back in 1995 or thereabouts.

Since the cover was snuck in by Les Baxter, no one really knows who the artist was. It was very unfortunate that this happened since this slight of hand on the cover and in the notes (Baxter took credit as producer) was the main reason that the album was pulled from shelves almost as soon as it appeared. The U.K. release from 1971, which was made accidentally from an unfinished mix, was known to the producers but only after they received their copies so it had a little longer shelf-life than the final release. It wasn't until 1972 when it was released in the U.S. (there was apparently a small 1971 release on the East Coast) that Yma learned of it and the rest, as they say, is history!

To answer one of your questions about the new Miracles release, the same art (scanned from the Australian pressing) was used but without the London Records logo. That was done entirely by the record label as they were keen on a reissue that looked like the original LP. The back sleeve notes on the LP version were also corrected.
response posted by Don Pierson on Saturday, November 24th, 2012 at 9:36:56 PM

Miracles artwork cover
One additional comment about the recent Miracles CD reissue is that while the back cover looks at a glance to be the same as the original LP, the credits and notes were altered slightly to correct the errors and misrepresentations of the original.
response posted by Don Pierson on Saturday, February 9th, 2013 at 5:38:17 PM